|Greenville County Bird Club|
|Reports and News | Outings | Projects | Membership | Links | Basics | Contact | Home|
Outings are typically held on a Saturday morning, and guests are always welcome. In case of inclement weather, you may contact the trip leader (if one is listed) for last minute changes or cancellations. We also list outings scheduled by other area bird clubs or organizations which are of special interest to our club.
GCBC Ongoing Outings:
When: Third Saturday of each month
When: Seasonal, September 1st through December 1st
GCBC Currently Scheduled Outings:
NOTE: IF PLANNING TO CARPOOL, please be prepared to contribute approximately 5 cents per mile to the driver.
When: Saturday, March 7, 2015
Where: Lake Jocassee and Devil's Fork State Park, Pickens County
Time: 8:00 AM
Leaders: Brooks Wade and Jeff Click
Cost: $35 per person
Comments: If planning to attend this trip, please contact Jeff Click to sign up, as space on the boat(s) will be limited. We will start at Devil's Fork State Park at 8:00 AM, and then board a boat with Jocassee Lake Tours at around 10:00 AM. We will go out for close-up looks at Loons, Grebes, and Eagles, and plan to be out until early afternoon, so bring a lunch. Cost for the boat portion will be $35 per person. To carpool for the trip, please meet at the K-mart on US-123 in Easley at 7:00 AM.
When: Saturday, March 21, 2015
Where: Lake Conestee Nature Park
Two Separate Outings Planned:
Time: 8:00 AM until noon
Leader: Paul Serridge
Comments: Meet on the Mauldin Road side of the park near the baseball complex to bird a variety of paved and natural surface trails in the park. The park entrance is at 840 Mauldin Road, Greenville (opposite a FedEx facility and the junction with Ridge Road). On entering the park, drive ~ 200 yards and turn left into a parking area behind the Little League ball fields. We meet at the trailhead at the upper corner of this parking area.
Time: 8:00 AM until 10:30 AM
Leader: Denise DuPon
Comments: We're offering this slower-paced walk for anyone not up for a full morning of birding. Meet at the Spanco Drive parking area next to the old Conestee mill and dam at 8:00 AM to bird a section of the paved trail, planning to be done by around 10:30 AM.
Trips in the Works
- April 11 and 12, 2015: Weekend Coastal Trip: Saturday, 4/11 at Huntington Beach State Park; Sunday, 4/12 at Santee Coastal Reserve
- April 11, 2015: Local Trip: Cedar Falls Park, Holliday Circle, and Gunter Road
- April 18, 2015: Lake Conestee Nature Park
- The upstate chapter of the SC Native Plant Society will be holding their plant sale at LCNP on the 18th also.
- April 25, 2015: Spring Migration Count
- May 2, 2015: Location TBD - potentially Chestnut Ridge Heritage Preserve or the Warrior Mountain area
- May 9, 2015: Inaugural Upstate Big Day (details coming soon)
- May 16, 2015: Lake Conestee Nature Park
- May 30, 2015: Brevard, NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville
Outings and Events Sponsored by Other Organizations:
Organization: South Carolina State Parks
Ventures, Incorporated has a regular schedule of outings in the Carolinas, throughout the United States, and internationally. For details, visit their web site at www.birdventures.com.
copyright ©2014 Greenville County Bird Club. All Rights Reserved.