|Reports and News | Outings | Projects | Membership | Links | Basics | Contact | Home|
|"All good things are wild and
- Henry David Thoreau
Outings are typically held on a Saturday morning, and guests are always welcome. In case of inclement weather, you may call the walk leader (if one is listed) for last minute changes or cancellations. We also list outings scheduled by other area bird clubs or organizations which are of special interest to our club.
Greenville County Bird Club Ongoing Outings:
When: Third Saturday of each month
When: Seasonal, September 1st through December 1st
Greenville County Bird Club Currently Scheduled Outings:
*** NOTE: IF PLANNING TO CARPOOL, PLEASE BE PREPARED TO CONTRIBUTE APPROXIMATELY 5 CENTS PER MILE TO THE DRIVER.
When: Saturday, April 12, 2014
Where: Saluda Shoals Park
Time: 7:30 AM until late afternoon
Leaders: Irvin Pitts, Lewis Burke, Kent Bedenbaugh, and/or Roger Smith
Cost: There is an entrance fee of $5 per vehicle for Saluda Shoals Park
Comments: Saluda Shoals Park is routinely the location of great sightings during migration. Join us at this park near Columbia with some of the best local birders guiding us. If there is enough interest and time, we may continue to Congaree National Park or Lynch's Woods in the afternoon. Bring lunch, water, and snacks.
To carpool for this trip, meet at the parking lot of the Jeff Lynch appliance store on Roper Mountain Road, and be prepared for a 6:00 AM departure. If you prefer to meet us at Saluda Shoals at 7:30, follow these directions:
From Exit 104 off Interstate-26 go southwest on Piney Grove Road for 1.5 miles. Here turn right (west) onto St. Andrews Road and go 0.3 miles, where you turn left onto Bush River Road. The park entrance is about 1.5 miles farther, on your left. We will meet at the education building, which is first main building on right after paying the $5/car fee.
When: Saturday, April 19, 2014
Where: Lake Conestee Nature Park
Time: Start at 7:00 AM at the ball field; we'll carpool to Spanco at around 8:00 AM
Leader: Chip Gilbert
Comments: The park entrance is at 840 Mauldin Road, Greenville (opposite a FedEx facility and the junction with Ridge Road). On entering the park, drive ~ 200 yards and turn left into a parking area behind the Little League ball fields. We meet at the trailhead at the upper corner of this parking area.
When: Saturday, April 26, 2014
Rain Date: Sunday, April 27
Event: Annual Spring Migrating Bird Count
Coordinator: Paul Serridge
Comments: Although this particular count is organized by the Greenville County Bird Club, participation is open to all; i.e., you don't have to be a GCBC member to participate.
Please contact Paul and let him know the following:
- If you plan to bird a specific area (or areas). Please be as precise as possible in describing your preferred area.
- If you are willing to lead other birders in that area
- If you wish to participate and would like to be assigned to a group with a leader.
- If you wish to participate by reporting birds on your private property or at your feeders.
The only geographic limitation is that the reports must be from inside the boundaries of Greenville County, including many prime birding areas such as Bunched Arrowhead, Wilson's Farm, Caesar's Head and Jones Gap State Parks, Lakes Cunningham and Robinson, Conestee, Furman University, etc.
We will need help in many areas, and birders of all skill levels are welcome and needed!
Trips and Events in the Works:
- May 3 - Townville
- May 10 - Oconee Station, Walhalla Fish Hatchery, Bad Creek, and other Oconee County Hotspots
- THURSDAY, May 15 - Don Faulkner's Ecuador birding presentation at the Clemson Botanical Gardens
- May 17 - Lake Conestee
- May 24 - Nine Times, Eastatoe Valley, Sassafras Mountain
- May 31 - Blue Ridge Parkway South of Asheville
- June 7 or 14 - Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville (possibly a weekend trip)
- June 21 - Lake Conestee
- July 12 - Hooper Lane and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway near Brevard
- July 19 - Lake Conestee
- July 26-27 - Allendale (kites!), Orangeburg, Donnelley and Bear Island weekend trip
- August 16 - Lake Conestee
Outings and Events Sponsored by Other Organizations:
copyright ©2014 Greenville County Bird Club. All Rights Reserved.